As quoted “yoga is the journey of the self, through the self, to the self” which means yoga makes you endure and live in the present moment. In today’s world, stress is the new friend of each individual. It’s very rare that you see people taking out time for them. And this is where yoga the key element enters.
Yoga or the various features that yoga has to offer are amazing and take you to another universe. Yoga helps you to rejuvenate and relaxes your mind, body and soul. It refreshes your mood and decreases the stress or tension factor in your life. Yoga adds energy to your body and soul. It’s like the wave of music which has no end to it.
Since yoga is being practiced everywhere around the world, there are various asana or postures which are practiced. One of them is Bikram yoga. In this article you shall know about this new form of yoga, postures, and its benefits in your life.
Defining Bikram Yoga:
The Bikram yoga gives you the inner peace and helps you to rediscover the wholeness in your life. Bikram is to yoga what Madonna is to singing. Bikram Choudhury the founder of the Bikram yoga has practiced and tailored the craft of yoga to create a different level of fitness and exercising platform.
Bikram yoga has 26 yoga postures and two breathing exercises that are to be performed for minimum of 90 minutes. This makes your body detoxify, stretch, stress reliever, cures knee or joint pains, back problems and much more.
These 26 postures are sequenced specially for this Bikram yoga. It’s analyzed and proved that these postures work for every single part of the body, to maintain the optimum health and maximum functionality of the body. Though each component takes care of the individual part of the body, yet they work systematically and all together contributing every bit of their benefits to one another.
This Bikram yoga should be practiced under a proper and well trained Bikram yoga trainer or teacher. These postures are usually performed in a room which has proper heating that helps you to optimize these functionalities in a better way. And Bikram refers these studios or rooms as the “torture chambers.”
After defining Bikram yoga now it’s time that you get introduced to the various postures defined in this yoga.
Unique Postures of Bikram Yoga:
- Standing Deep Breathing or Pranayama (Sanskrit)
- Half Moon Pose or Ardha-Chandrasana (Sanskrit)
- Awkward Pose or Utkatasana (Sanskrit)
- Eagle Pose or Garurasana (Sanskrit)
- Standing Head to Knee or Dandayamana-Janushirasana (Sanskrit)
- Standing Bow Pose or Dandayamana-Dhanurasana (Sanskrit)
- Balancing Stick or Tuladandasana (Sanskrit)
- Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose or Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimotthanasana (Sanskrit)
- Triangle Pose or Trikanasana (Sanskrit)
- Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose or Dandayamana Bibhaktapada Janushirasana (Sanskrit)
- Tree Pose or Tadasana(Sanskrit)
- Toe Stand or Padangustasana(Sanskrit)
- Dead Body Pose or Savasana(Sanskrit)
- Wind-Removing Pose or Pavanamuktasana(Sanskrit)
- Sit up or Pada-Hasthasana(Sanskrit)
- Cobra Pose or Bhujangasana(Sanskrit)
- Locust Pose or Salabhasana(Sanskrit)
- Full Locust Pose or Poorna-Salabhasana(Sanskrit)
- Bow Pose or Dhanurasana(Sanskrit)
- Fixed Firm Pose or Supta-Vajrasana(Sanskrit)
- Half Tortoise Pose or Ardha-Kurmasana(Sanskrit)
- Camel Pose or Ustrasana(Sanskrit)
- Rabbit Pose or Sasangasana(Sanskrit)
- Head to Knee Pose and Stretching Pose or Janushirasana and Paschimotthanasana (Sanskrit)
- Spine-Twisting Pose or Ardha-Matsyendrasana(Sanskrit)
Once you read about the various Bikram yoga postures that hold the most significance, now you should know what the benefits of these exercises or yoga are.
Benefits of Bikram Yoga:
Various people and celebrities even have indulged yoga into their day to day routine. And so they have adapted the Bikram yoga for their better living and stress free life. There are various benefits of the Bikram yoga which include the following aspects:
- Being Flexible: The heat will allow you to reach to the flexible postures easily. This acts like a therapy to the mind, body and soul. And more over being flexible adds as an added advantage to you. So be flexible and be cool.
- Increasing Your Strength: Trying this yoga will never be a regretting feeling. This is low impact and uses muscles that didn’t know even existed in your body! Even this yoga makes your spine strength stronger which means you have the key for a healthy life ahead.
- Comfortable Breathing: This yoga helps you maintain your breathing procedure in a better manner. During yoga inhaling and exhaling of proper breath is a must. It makes you learn how to breathe in a completely controlled manner.
- Exercising Cardio: Your heart will be much healthier and fit rather than the other cardio workout. The way you stretch your body and compress the organs it stimulates the metabolism and helps you in burning more calories.
- Detoxify: The heat accumulated in the room helps you get more cardio but you also tend to sweat a lot. These postures help you to detox your muscles, organs and glands.
- Focus: Most of the yoga classes help you develop a sense of freedom with focus and determination. As the days advances yoga carries your life further with full concentration and focus. And if you focus at the given task, you shall definitely win over the goals you want to achieve.
- The Power of Healing: The main purpose of this yoga is that it acts as therapy .with the regular practice you can overcome the old injuries and also prevent them in future. It also helps in reducing the various ailments which you must have heard in your day to day life like diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity or depression.
Thus on the whole, Bikram Yoga is a form of fitness training that a lot of people indulge into. It not only makes you flexible but also inculcates the positive energy, strength, refreshes your mind and acts as a stress reliever. So you are only as old as long your spine is flexible.try out these Bikram yoga postures or enroll yourself into these studios for a better and healthier living. At last, you got nothing to lose! So try this and stay happy!
Yoga is not about self improvement, it’s about self acceptance!