Camel Pose or Ustrasana helps in adding flexibility and strength to the body. The pose is performed on the knees and makes you prepare for the deeper backbends. The name Ustrasana comes from the Sanskrit Words ‘ustra’ that means ‘camel’ and ‘asana’ means pose. Known as heart opening pose, camel pose, balances both the fourth and fifth chakras situated at the throat and heart centers. If you are having neck and back pain, ustrasana, when practiced regularly, can help you get rid of the pain.
Benefits of Performing Camel Pose
Image Source = “wpvarolusumuz”
• The asana improves the digestion, circulation and also stimulates the thyroid.
• It increases circulation while increasing and improving the blood flow and creates a beautiful complexion.
• The pose, when practiced regularly, lowers the blood pressure, decrease the extra fat and increase energy levels.
• It improves the spinal flexibility and also strengthens the back muscles.
• The asana also increases creativity, relieves stress and ultimately open your mind.
Steps to Do Camel Pose | Ustrasana
Image Source = “mindbody360”
1. Begin by kneeling on the mat while keeping your knees hip distance apart.
2. Make sure that your knees are placed directly in line with the shoulders, and the sole of your feet face towards the ceiling.
3. Rest your hands on pelvis with fingers directly pointing to the floor.
4. Lengthen your tailbone toward the floor and expand the back of your pelvis.
5. Slowly lean back with your chin tucked towards the chest.
6. Take the pose deeper if you find it comfortable.
7. Keep your palms resting on your heels with fingers pointing towards the toes and thumbs folding holding each foot.
8. Hold the pose for a minute or as long as you can, breath out and come back in the original posture.
Cautions While Doing the Asana
Avoid practicing pose if you are experiencing fluctuation in blood pressure or have a migraine. Stretch and work within limits, always perform the pose, under the guidance of yoga experts.