Trikonasana: Say Goodbye To Stress & Anxiety With This Powerful Yoga Asana
It was about a few years ago when I had attended a yoga camp in Rishikesh. At that time, I was not into yoga. But, it was the turning point in my life and the beginning of my yoga journey.
Being an introvert and a sensitive person, it was quite challenging for me to deal with depression and stress. One thing that helped me reduce it was Yoga. I tried out online yoga tutorials, attended yoga camps and also read various yoga blogs. Trust me, it works great.
Today, I thought I would share with you about my favorite yoga asana that reduced my stress and anxiety and that is “Trikonasana” Or “Triangle Pose”.
‘Trikonasana’ is a Sanskrit word in which ‘trikona’ means ‘triangle’ and ‘asana’ means ‘pose’. This asana is mainly known to improve the regular body functions and to cure stress, anxiety, and depression. If you want to cure it too, then keep on reading this article to know more about this asana.
Things to Know Before You Do Trikonasana
It is no secret that morning is an ideal time to practice yoga. It is good to perform this asana in the morning with empty bowels. Make sure you have your meals at least four to six hours prior to practicing this yoga asana. Well, if you are not a morning person, then you can practice this asana in the evening. All you need to do is have an ideal gap between your meal and practice. While practicing this asana, you need to keep your eyes open to maintain balance.
How To Do Trikonasana Or Triangle Pose?
Image Source= “liveyoganow“
- Stand straight and separate your feet wide apart (about three and a half to four feet).
- Gradually, turn your right foot at 90 degrees to the outside and left foot at less than 45 degrees to the inside.
- After that, put the center of your right heel in line with the center of the arch of your left foot.
- Make sure that the weight of your body is equally balanced on both the feet and your feet should be pressing the ground.
- Inhale and exhale while doing the movement. Slowly bend your body to the right and keep your wrist straight. Move your left hand upward while your right hand comes down towards the floor.
- Let your right hand rest on the floor or ankle. Gently stretch your left arm toward the roof.
- Keep your head in a neutral position or you can turn your face at the left side.
- Make sure your pelvis and chest are wide open and your body should bend sideways only.
- Keep your body stable and stretch maximum and hold the pose for at least 30 seconds.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
Precautions And Contraindications
- If you are suffering from neck problems, then it is recommended to look straight.
- People with high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diarrhea, or headaches should perform this asana under expert supervision.
- If you are suffering from any heart condition, it is best to practice this yoga pose against a wall.
Beginners’ Tips To Practice Trikonasana
- Beginners, while doing this asana, should make sure your that their back is completely straight.
- In this asana, you have to slightly twist your body; so make sure you don’t twist your body along the hips.
Benefits Of Practice Trikonasana Or Triangle Pose
- It helps to lessen the stress, depression, and anxiety.
- It stretches and opens up few body parts including the calves, groins, hips, hamstrings, chest, spine, and shoulders.
- It will keep both your body and mind stable.
- It improves digestion and stimulates all the abdominal organs.
- It helps reduce back pain and neck pain.
- It strengthens the legs, chest, knees, ankles, and arms.