Downward Facing Dog Pose | Adho Mukha Svanasana – Steps to Perform and its Benefits
Downward Facing Dog Pose or Adho Mukha Svanasana is the basic and effective yoga pose that builds stretch and stretches the whole body. It is an ideal pose to correct your body’s imbalances and also makes you improve stabilizing your joints and muscular effort. For every yoga performer, the Adho Mukha Svanasana uses the full strength of arms and evenly stretches the spine.
Benefits of Downward Dog Pose
• Regular practice of Downward Dog Pose improves the digestion and helps to prevent osteoporosis.
• It completely rejuvenates the entire body and stretches the calves, legs, shoulders, and hands.
• This yoga posture gives relief from fatigue, depression, and insomnia.
• The asana stimulates the blood circulation and neutralizes the spine between forwarding and backbends.
• The pose is very much beneficial for people who are suffering from asthma, sinusitis and flat feet.
Lets us now read the steps to perform Downward Dog Pose
1. Begin the pose on your hands and knees. Place your wrists under your shoulders and your knees under your hips. Make sure that the fold of wrists should be parallel with the edge of your yoga mat.
2. Stretch your hands, elbows and upper back as much as you can.
3. Spread your fingers on the yoga mat and press through palms, remember to distribute equal weight across your hands.
4. Exhale and lift your knees off the floor. Slowly, straighten your legs, and bring it into the shape of an A.
5. Lengthen your spine and lift your bones towards the ceiling. Rotate your arms in a way that the elbow creases face your thumbs.
6. Align your ears with your arms, relax and do not let it go loose.
7. Be in the pose for at least 5-20 breaths.
8. Come back in the position and practice the pose for better results.
Cautions When Performing the Downward Dog Posture
It is advised not to perform Adho Mukha Svanasana if you have severe carpal tunnel syndrome, injury to the back, high blood pressure or any inner ear infections. Always practice within your abilities and under the guidance of yoga expert.