Learn How To Master Equestrian Pose (Ashwa Sanchalanasana) With Easy Steps
Equestrian Yoga Pose, better known as Ashwa Sanchalanasana, falls into the category of balancing yoga postures. The name ‘Ashwa Sanchalanasana’ is derived from Sanskrit Words where the word ‘Ashwa’ means ‘Horse’ and ‘Sanchalan’ means ‘movement’. Practicing Equestrian Yoga pose helps in improving the abdominal organs of the body.
It is the fourth and the ninth asana in the series of Surya Namaskar. To achieve the benefits and to avoid the injury, it is important to know the right position and alignment of the body while doing the Equestrian pose. The pose resembles the action you take for running. Therefore, it is also often referred to as Runner’s pose or Stepping pose.
If you are comfortable performing Sun Salutation’ then you can easily perform Equestrian pose without any difficulty. It is also said that if you perform Ashwa Sanchalanasana daily, it will improve your concentration and willpower.
Before you start doing the pose, know how Equestrian pose can do wonders for your health. Here are the benefits, steps, and precautions of Ashwa Sanchalanasana.
Steps to Perform Equestrian Pose or Runner’s Pose
Image Source= “pranayoga”
Follow the below step by step guide to do the Equestrian yoga pose:
1. To begin the pose, come in the Vajrasana position. Now stand on your knees while keeping the feet and knees together.
2. Next, slowly bring your left leg in the front in a way that it makes the 90-degrees angle between calf and thigh. Make sure that left leg lies parallel to the floor and the knee is aligned with the ankle.
3. Keep your arms by the sides and touch the fingers to the ground while supporting the body to maintain the balance.
4. Rest the knee of the right leg on the floor and gradually look upwards.
5. Hold the posture for 2-3 minutes or as long as you are comfortable. Do not give too much stretch to your body.
6. Release the posture by bringing the head down and placing back the leg to sit in the Vajrasana position again.
7. Repeat the pose with other leg for better results.
Health Benefits You Get By Practicing Equestrian Pose
- It gives immense flexibility to the muscles by stretching them.
- The pose not only activates liver but also improves its functioning.
Performing Equestrian pose opens up the chest and also stimulates the solar plexus and heart.
- The pose rubs the stomach organs and boosts its functioning and initiates balance in the sensory system.
- Ashwa Sanchalanasana is beneficial in sciatica pain, indigestion problems and constipation.
- It stretches the spine and ultimately increases the flexibility of back.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing Equestrian Pose
• If you are suffering from neck problem, do not look upward instead look straight in the position.
• Avoid practicing the pose if you are having any knee or ankle injury.
• Be careful about the position of the knee, it should be in line with the ankle. Don’t perform or stretch beyond your limit as it may strain the muscles.