Learn How to Master Feathered Peacock Pose and Its Benefits
Just like a peacock looks beautiful while spanning its feather out, the pose is also beautiful and need the patience to master in it. The asana can seem challenging for the beginners, but take your time to ease out into the pose. Sometimes referred as Pincha Mayurasana, the yoga pose improves focus and balance. The posture requires both flexibility and strength, so, ensure that you warm up the shoulders properly with Eagle Arms and Cow Face Arms.
Before you perform the pose make sure that you have had your meal at least 5 hours before you practice the asana. Better you do the asana in morning, if you are not comfortable doing the yoga in morning, it is okay to practice in evening.
Step by Step Instruction to do Feathered Peacock Pose
1. To begin the pose, lie down on your stomach facing the wall. The pose is not difficult as Adho Mukha Vrksasana, as the head is not far away from the floor.
2. To prepare for the asana, firm your shoulders blades against the back torso and pull them towards your tailbone.
3. Slowly, bend your elbows in a way that it comes directly under your shoulders, now bring your palms together in Anjali Mudra.
4. Gently, lift your hips up and walk towards your arm as close as you can.
5. Next, raise your left leg and kick up the left leg off the floor. This will allow your feet to touch the wall. Initially, you may find it difficult but again practice and you will be easily get to swing your heels to the wall.
6. To lengthen your tailbone, draw your ribs into your torso and navel towards the spine.
7. Hold the pose for a while, while keeping your head off the floor. Just make sure that your shoulders are away from your ears.
8. If you are not comfortable you may touch the feet to a wall or either stay perpendicular to the ground.
9. Breathe and stay in the pose as long as you can.
10. Come back in the pose in the same order as you got into it.
11. Repeat the pose while kicking alternate leg, one day kicking up with left and one day kicking up with right for a better experience.
Benefits of Performing Pincha Mayurasana
• The pose improves balance and builds confidence.
• It improves you a new perspective on life and gives a deep stretch to the shoulders.
• It makes brain calmed, and reduces stress and depression.
• It strengthens the arms, shoulders, and back.
Avoid doing pose if you are having shoulder or back injuries of high blood pressure.