How To Perform The Setu Bandhasana Or Bridge Pose? What Are The Perks Of Doing This Asana?
“YOGA” Heals The Mind, Body & Our Spirit!
The true essence of yoga posture or asana assists individual elevating the assets of life such as health, happiness, peace, and harmony. Today, we are going to discuss one such yoga asana that includes numerous benefits.
“Setu Bandhasana” Or Bridge Pose is a popular posture. Setu Bandha is a Sanskrit word in which “Setu” means Bridge and “Bandha” means Lock. The pose has a similar appearance of a bridge and therefore it is called as Bridge Pose. This pose stretches your back, neck, and chest and relaxes your body. Also, it strengthens your back, buttocks and improves the circulation of blood.
Source = “ytimg”
What You Should Know Before You Perform This Asana?
Always remember that Setu Bandhasana must be done when your stomach is completely empty. Also, maintain a good time between your meal and the asana, for example, take your meals at least four to six hours before the practice. It will give you good energy while doing it.
How To Do The Setu Bandhasana Step By Step ?
- Start Setu Bandhasana by lying down on your back.
- After that bend your knees and place your feet on the floor and hip distance apart from the floor. While doing that just ensure that ankles and knees are in an even line.
- Allow your arms to rest beside your body and keep your palms in downwards direction.
- Breath in, and gradually lift your lower back, middle back and upper back off the floor.
- After that slowly roll in your shoulders and just make sure that your chin touches your chest without moving it down. Let your arms, feet, and shoulder handle your weight.
- Keep your bottom firm up in this pose and make sure your thighs are parallel to each other.
- Interweave your fingers and push the hands on the floor to lift the torso a little more up.
- Now hold this posture for at least for a minute and breath gradually and deeply.
- And then breath out and release the pose.
Perks Of Doing “Setu Bandhasana”
- Setu Bandhasana is good for the Thyroid treatment, practicing this asana also helps to make thyroid gland healthy and diseases free.
- Holding this pose for at least one minute daily will help you in weight loss. It may be useful for belly fat burning.
- The bridge pose assist to strengthen the muscles of the back and improve the blood circulation.
- This asana is extremely good for hair loss treatment, doing this asana according to the above-mentioned techniques will give you smooth flow of oxygen and nutrients in the scalp, which is good to prevent hair fall.
- Doing this asana lessen the level of anxiety, stress, insomnia, and depression and calms the brain.
- Individuals who are suffering from severe back pain, it is recommended to perform the Setu Bandhasana under guidance.
- It helps to reduce the symptoms of asthma and high blood pressure.
- Improper digestion is a big trouble these days which ultimately leads to constipation and problems related to stomach disorders. But, by practicing the bridge pose one can improve his/her digestion and other stomach issues.
- The Setubandhasana is really good for the pregnant women and also assists diminish menstrual pain and symptoms of menopause.
- It also treats sinusitis and osteoporosis.
- Regular practice of this asana calms the brain and central nervous system.
- Helps to rejuvenate the weak and tired legs.
Some Precautions & Contradiction
It is very important to keep an eye on some points of caution while practicing this yoga asana (pose).
- Individual who are going through some neck injury should completely ignore this asana for a while, or you guys can take the recommendation from a reliable yoga expert or a doctor.
- As we discuss above that pregnant women can also perform this asana but, not with full force, just maintain some smoothness and ease while doing this asana. Also prior to attempt, this yoga pose don’t forget to consult with your doctor.
- If you have severe back problems, then you must avoid this asana or take expert guidance about it.
Some Important Points For The Beginner
If you are a novice for this particular asana then it is must to keep an eye on some important factors. Just must keep in mind that when you roll your shoulders facing towards the ground, you are not supposed to pull them away so forcefully from the ears. This will tend to overstretch your necks and it might hurt your neck too. So, while doing this asana just make sure you gently lift the upper portion of your shoulders towards the ear. Maintain a good position and hold it for at least 30 sec and increase the time gradually.