Sarvangasana Or Shoulder Stand Pose: A Natural Way To Cure Insomnia
Are you struggling to get sound sleep no matter how exhausted you are? Or do you wake up suddenly in the middle of the night and stay awake for hours? Well, if yes, then you might have INSOMNIA.
Insomnia is a sleep disorder which can also promote anxiety, stress, depression, and desolation. So, it is crucial to treat it as soon as possible. Although there are numerous allopathic and ayurvedic treatments available to cure insomnia, the most effective way is “YOGA”. Yes, yoga is a natural way to cure any medical problem. Sarvangasana Or Shoulder Stand Pose is one of the most effective yoga poses that can easily cure insomnia and stress.
Sarvangasana is a pose where the whole body is balanced on the shoulders. This asana is beneficial in maintaining the mental and physical health and that’s why it is also known as ‘Queen of asanas’.
Things To Remember Before You Practice Sarvangasana
Certainly, morning is an ideal time to practice yoga. It is always good to perform this asana in the morning on empty stomach. Make sure you maintain a decent gap between your meal and practice (at least four to six hours). If you cannot practice this asana in the morning, then you can schedule it in the evening too.
Image Source = “pranayoga“
- Lie on your back or lie down in the supine position.
- After that, lift your legs, buttocks, and back gradually. Bring your legs to 90 degrees angle.
- Now, press the floor gently with your palms, lift the waist and bring the legs forward. Make sure you keep them vertical to the ground.
- Raise your legs straight and try to form a straight line with your abdomen and chest.
- After that, put your palms on your back for support and place your chin against the chest.
- Now, hold the position as long as you can (minimum 30 seconds).
Tips For Beginners To Practice Sarvangasana
- If you are a newbie, then you can take the support of a blanket under your neck and shoulders.
- In the initial days, you can take the support of the wall if you find it difficult to raise your body and legs.
- If you are a beginner, then don’t lift your legs directly. You can bend your knees first while raising the body.
Things To Keep In Mind While Practicing Sarvangasana Or Shoulder Stand Pose
- The shoulder stand pose is an advanced yoga asana so, it is recommended to practice this asana under supervision.
- Sarvangasana can cause severe neck injury if done incorrectly. Make sure you take care of the position of your neck while practicing this asana.
- Elderly people and people with high blood pressure, heart issues, neck or back injury and slipped disk should take the recommendations from an expert before practice this asana.
- If you have any of the health conditions like pregnancy, menstruation, high, glaucoma, slip disc, spondylosis, and the acute thyroid problem, then you can consult to your physician before doing the Sarvangasana.
Perks Of Practicing Sarvangasana Or Shoulder Stand Pose
- Sarvangasana is an incredible pose for an insomnia patient as it facilitates proper blood circulation.
- In addition to curing insomnia, this pose also relieves stress, depression and improves digestion.
- It stretches and opens up few body parts including shoulders, neck, legs, butt, arms, and abs.
- Sarvangasana stimulates the thyroid gland and also normalizes the functioning of the pituitary, pineal, kidney, liver, spleen, and testes.
- It improves blood circulation.
- Sarvangasana helps in burning fat, prevents pimples and delays aging.
- Hair loss and premature graying of hair can be cured with the help of this asana.
So, if you are suffering from any of these diseases or looking for an effective way of treating insomnia, then regularly practice this asana.