Simple ways to know how to clean a yoga mat
It’s no matter how often you utilize your yoga mat; it will get sweaty, dirty and likely stinky with it is regular usage. Skin and product oils, dirt and sweat can penetrate the surface of yoga mat and can accelerate deterioration of it. These factors can also make it tough to practice yoga on mat because they may make you slip.
It is necessary to know How to Clean a Yoga Mat?
Because by washing your mat daily and keeping up with regular maintenance, you can expand the life of your yoga mat and carry on enjoying a clean and slide-free practice.
How to Clean a Yoga Mat
Washing your Yoga Mat-
Be aware, when you wash your mat. You must clean your yoga mat completely in every couple of months or more frequently if you don’t practice daily or perform yoga every day. This not only extends your mat’s life but also keep it away from smelling and transmitting bacteria to you.
When you need to wash:
- If you practice for yoga daily, you may want to clean your mat once in a month, especially during summer days or hot weather.
- The more dust you see on your mat, the more probable it needs to be absolutely washed.
- If your mat is getting loose or pieces of it are sticking on your clothes, consider buying a new mat.
Soak your yoga mat-
Use a solution of lukewarm water and mild detergent (like dish shop) to proper cleaning. Sink your yoga mat in a bath tub and let it to soak for a few minutes. It will help to remove dirt, oils and any type of odors.
- Hypoallergenic laundry detergent and dish soap are two of the perfect choices for mild cleaners for your mat.
- Avoid too much use of detergent in warm water. You need only sufficient soap to clean off your yoga mat. Usage of too much detergent can make your yoga may slippery and complicated to practice asana.
- In every gallon of lukewarm water, mix 1 tablespoon of dish soap or laundry detergent.
- Experts advise using vinegar to clean your mat. Be aware that it can leave an unpleasant and lasting scent on the surface of your mat that could make practicing yoga less interesting.
You May Also Like:- Chair yoga poses: Most relaxing and beneficial poses for entire body
Wash the mat with a soft cloth-
The next step in How to Clean a Yoga Mat is washing the mat with a soft cloth. Once your yoga mat is soaked for few minutes, utilize a soft cloth to clean both sides of the mat.
- Notice the areas; you use the most because they will probably have a little different color to the rest of your mat.
- Be sure that you wipe each side softly so that you don’t degrade the mat or pull off any logs or chunks of it.
- Avoid putting your mat in the washing machine. It can degrade the quality of your mat and make it impossible to do yoga on the mat because it is too slippery.
Rinse your mat in clean water-
Drain the tub water in which you keep your mat and rinse the washed mat with clean water. This will aid to remove any remains from the soap and minimize the risk of having a slippery mat.
- Rinse off your mat until you notice that the water is clear.
- If the water does not clean the mat, consider washing it off again with soft cloth.
Remove extra water from your mat-
Shake off your yoga mat to remove water on the surface of your mat. Keep the mat flat on a dry towel and roll both of them together to force out remaining moisture.
- Do not twist your mat! It may cause tearing, warping and wrinkling.
- You can walk on the rolled up mat and towel that is more effective at dropping off excess water.
Hang your yoga mat to dry-
When you are completed with extraction of excess water, unfold your mat from the towel. Hang it up until it is completely dry. The last step in How to Clean a Yoga Mat is “hangs your yoga mat to dry”.
- If you have a laundry rack for drying, just drape your mat over this that can effectively dry both sides of your yoga mat.
- Never use a dryer to dry a yoga mat. It can not only ruin the mat but can be cause of fire.
Now you will have known- How to Clean a Yoga Mat?
After doing this process, you should remember some other things that maintain your mat clean such as-
- Wash your legs and hands before practicing
- Place a towel on your mat during practice
- Wipe-off your mat
After knowing How to Clean a Yoga Mat and maintain it, you will understand the importance of daily cleaning and maintenance. Dirt, dust, oils and sweat can degrade the quality of mat rapidly and build it more difficult for you to perform asanas on it. Few simple and easy cleaning tasks for your mat, can keep your mat clean and fresh.