Vashistasana (Side Plank Pose): Strengthen And Tone Your Abdominal Muscles
It was about a few years ago, I had a strong relationship with food or rather I would say junk food. I grew up in a family where everyone is overweight and I thought it was heredity.
I was not in shape and used to feel stressed and insecure. After ages, I realize that it was the outcome of my poor eating habits and of course lazy lifestyle. I had no hope of becoming thinner, but I really wanted to transform myself.
I tried out many things to get back in shape including, dieting, gyming, dancing, etc, but, unfortunately, it didn’t work for me. Later on, I discovered yoga. I was curious to know, why people it so much! To explore further, I tried out yoga tutorials and attended yoga classes. Then, there came a time when I realized its actual worth.
Trust me guys, yoga not only transformed my body but my life too. I preferred Vashistasana because it is an effective pose that helps reduce weight and strengthens abdominal muscles. It is a powerful arm balance yoga pose, also known as ‘Side Plank Pose’. In this article, I want to share some basic tips and benefits of Vasisthasana (Side Plank).
Things To Know Before You Do Vashistasana (Side Plank)
Image Source = “artofliving“
You should perform this asana on an empty stomach. Make sure you have your meals at least four to six hours prior to practicing this yoga pose. Also, morning is the ideal time to practice it. However, you can also do it in the evening. Make sure you maintain a decent gap between your meals and your practice.
How To Practice Vashistasana Or Side Plank Pose?
- Begin this asana with the ‘Phalakasana’ or the ‘Plank Pose’.
- Now, shift your weight gently on the right side with your arm and foot.
- Let your left foot rest on the right foot and swing your left arm.
- Placed your right hand gently ahead of the shoulder. While doing that, make sure your palm is pressed against the floor.
- Breathe in and gently raise your arm such that it is perpendicular to the floor. Make sure your fingers point towards the roof.
- Hold the pose for at least 30 seconds and stare at your raised arms.
- Breathe out and place your raised arm on your hip.
- Come back to the plank pose and repeat this pose from the other side.
Tips For Beginners To Perform Vashistasana
As a beginner, you can find it difficult to balance yourself. Follow these tips to practice this asana.
- Place your foot properly over each other, such that the outer edge of the right and the inner edge of the left foot are on the floor.
- Gently press your hand on the floor, you will feel lighter in the upper body.
- Make sure you balance your hand firmly to get into the pose.
Precautions For Vashistasana OR Side Plank Pose
If you are suffering from severe elbow, wrist or shoulder pain, then it is recommended to perform this yoga asana under an expert or certified yoga instructor.
Advanced Pose Variation Of Side Plank
Image Source = “ytimg“
To take this asana to the next level, slightly lift your leg and place on top, such that it is perpendicular to the floor. After that, hook the toe of a raised leg with your raised arms. Without losing the balance of hand and foot, hold this pose for at least 30 seconds.
The advance variation of the Side Plank is very challenging for beginners. So, if you are a beginner, it is recommended to practice this asana under supervision.
Advantages Of The Side Plank Pose Or Vashistasana
Here are some amazing benefits of side plank pose:
- Regular practice of Vashistasana will make your legs, abdomen, and arms strong.
- This asana stretches a few body parts including wrist, arms, back, and legs.
- It improves balance.
- This asana tones the abdominal muscles and reduces the fat.